woensdag 29 oktober 2014

Food & London

Last week, I went to my favorite place in the whole wide world: London. There isn't a thing you cannot love about London: the people, the shops, the fashion, the transport and of course the food.
When I was an au pair (now already 3 years ago), I learned to love the English food the hard way. I gained 15 kilo's within the first 3 months (that is 33lbs) and when I hit the 75 kilo mark I thought: na-ah. NA-effing-Ah. So I tried to find a way to still eat the delicious English food and lose weight.

But back to the point. I was hoping I would be able to write something about my bread baking workshop at Recipease, but sadly it was cancelled due to staff.. whatever that means.
Luckily I did go to my favorite pub The Shakespeare to, again, have their delicious fish and chips with peas, had lunch at Fifteen, ate a delicious wrap at Camden and had one of the best mango ice creams I've had in a while near Portobello Road.

So in case you ever go to London, visit al these places if you can and ignore your diet for just one week. You will not feel guilty, I promise.

First I will persuade you to go to Camden. Not just because of the great atmosphere that you will find there, not because of the cheap books or amazing vintage fashion, but because of the food stalls outside. Every time I go to camden I try to eat something from a different stall meaning it's a dish from a different culture every time (Turkish, African, South American or just plain English). This time I had a delicious lamb wrap with lettuce, grilled peppers and a blue cheese-mayonaise dressing and Hanne (my dearest travel companion) also had a wrap with spinach, f
eta and chicken. It was delicious, so definitely check that out when you go to London.

The other thing that you will have to do is go to The Shakespeare. It is right next to Victoria station ,which you will most likely pass at one point, so check it out. Even if it is just for a drink or a sandwich. But I promise you that they have AMAZING fish and chips (second best I had in England, the best was in Brighton). But they also have other things and change the menu every now and then. Hanne had an enormous burger which I think was called The Big Ben Burger. It was sooo good.

And while you're there, make a reservation at Fifteen. Lunch isn't that expensive and you won't be hungry for the next couple of hours (Hanne and I just had soup for dinner that evening).
I had freshly baked bread with butter and a smoked salmon with creme fraiche and something I cant remember and Hanne had squash soup which was delicious (she was kind enough to let me taste it) and as a main she had broccoli with polenta and a green kind of mash (we couldn't figure out what it was, but Hanne assured me that it tasted very good). The menu at Fifteen does change everyday so don't focus too much on the menu you see online while making a reservation. Just go.. eat and enjoy!

The last thing I will blog about today is the ice cream I had at Gelato Mio near portobello road market. I had never noticed it before, but I was craving for something sweet when I saw this ice cream shop. It is really expensive (I think 2,90 for one scoop) but it was super super super super nice. The ice cream was so soft and full of flavor. As the dutch say: Alsof er een engeltje over mn tong piest. I don't know the English expression, but if I translate it it says: Like an angel is peeing on your tongue.. Now it sounds weird. Just trust me, it was delicious.

To conclude this blog, I just hope that all of you will one day visit London and try to visit at least one of the places. You will not regret it. But there are loads of other places in London where you can get really nice food, so go find your own favorite pubs or ice cream shops:)
But do go to Camden, always.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten