maandag 29 september 2014

Food Photography - tips & tricks

As some of you know I am a cleaner at Photo Studio Duivelseiland in Amsterdam. They are one of the kindest people I've ever met in my life. They sometimes give me left over food or ingredients and I can come and see how they photograph or film food. So I suggest that you should all find a job like that.

But what I am going to blog about today is the accessories you need when you want to photograph food. Because at the studio they've got sooooo much. It is unbelievable.

First of all, you need several different surfaces. I like to use wood as a surface or a really nice table cloth. You also need a lot of different plates, glasses, forks, knives, cups, glasses and so on. This means that you will have to spend money on that and going to the nearest Ikea is not really an option then (you will have to spend a month's worth of salary). So here's what I do to keep the costs down:

I go thrift shopping. Yeah, go to YouTube and put that Macklemore song on, I know you want to.
No but I'm serious. I have been to almost every thrift shop in Amsterdam to find old plates which look like they came straight out of your grandma's cupboard.

But there is more, you can go to a flea market. The best one in Europe is right here in Amsterdam North: De IJhallen and it's open once a month (they're open THIS weekend, 4 & 5 October!). They have all kinds of things, not just tableware. So if you're looking for some vintage clothing, this is the place to be.

So come to Amsterdam, make it a fun weekend or day out. Spend a little money on tableware, whether it is for food photography like me, or to just have some really cool vintage tableware. Makes you feel all posh and fancy when eating a regular sandwich.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten